PDA

View Full Version : hiring age limit

nichols42
10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I know the Detroit Police Dept. doesn't have a age cut off, but does anyone know if any recruits that have been hired over the age of 40?

nichols42
10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I know the Detroit Police Dept. doesn't have a age cut off, but does anyone know if any recruits that have been hired over the age of 40?

No one knows the answer to this?

GR217
10-11-2008, 12:32 PM
MCOLES does not have a maximum age limit. DPD normally follows MCOLES standards. When I went through the academy, in 1999 we had a couple of people in the class in their mid 40's. They did well in the academic and discipline aspects, but they stuggled with the PT. DPDs academy (when I went through it) was very physical. So get into a good work out regimen now, running, push-ups, sit-ups, weight training, etc....
Another thing to look into, call DPD and ask if they still have a "40 and 8" program. When I worked there officers over 40 could get a partial retirement after 8 years. The intent was to recruit experienced officers. Good luck

nichols42
10-11-2008, 02:05 PM
MCOLES does not have a maximum age limit. DPD normally follows MCOLES standards. When I went through the academy, in 1999 we had a couple of people in the class in their mid 40's. They did well in the academic and discipline aspects, but they stuggled with the PT. DPDs academy (when I went through it) was very physical. So get into a good work out regimen now, running, push-ups, sit-ups, weight training, etc....
Another thing to look into, call DPD and ask if they still have a "40 and 8" program. When I worked there officers over 40 could get a partial retirement after 8 years. The intent was to recruit experienced officers. Good luck

Thanks for the info...I don't have any experience, is that a problem?

MIDeputy
10-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info...I don't have any experience, is that a problem?

It really depends on the individual agency. I've seen individuals who were 40+ get hired, but again each agency really determines their age limit and hiring standard. MCOLES is the minimum standard put into place, but each agency can require above and beyond what MCOLES requires.

However, let me back up for a second. In these tough economic times, not many agencies are hiring people and then paying their way through an academy.

MSP is just now running a recruit school after 4 years, DNR is currently hiring but only MCOLES certified or certifiable candidates, they are no longer running an entire academy. DPD will put you through the academy, but I'm not sure on their current hiring status. Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, you may have to put yourself through an academy if you can't get on with an agency that will sponsor you. With that being said, you're going to have to be prepared to either quit your current job or take a 16+ week leave of absence to attend a $3000+ academy with no guarantee of being hired. So I guess my best advice is are you willing or are you in a position that will allow you to seek a career change at this point in life?

I would certainly not discourage you from seeking a career in law enforcement, but Michigan is currently a very competitive state in terms of landing a full-time law enforcement position. Good luck in your endeavor and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

nichols42
10-11-2008, 07:57 PM
It really depends on the individual agency. I've seen individuals who were 40+ get hired, but again each agency really determines their age limit and hiring standard. MCOLES is the minimum standard put into place, but each agency can require above and beyond what MCOLES requires.

However, let me back up for a second. In these tough economic times, not many agencies are hiring people and then paying their way through an academy.

MSP is just now running a recruit school after 4 years, DNR is currently hiring but only MCOLES certified or certifiable candidates, they are no longer running an entire academy. DPD will put you through the academy, but I'm not sure on their current hiring status. Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, you may have to put yourself through an academy if you can't get on with an agency that will sponsor you. With that being said, you're going to have to be prepared to either quit your current job or take a 16+ week leave of absence to attend a $3000+ academy with no guarantee of being hired. So I guess my best advice is are you willing or are you in a position that will allow you to seek a career change at this point in life?

I would certainly not discourage you from seeking a career in law enforcement, but Michigan is currently a very competitive state in terms of landing a full-time law enforcement position. Good luck in your endeavor and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Thanks i am applying to dpd from out of state

Sabre
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Michigan is currently a very competitive state in terms of landing a full-time law enforcement position

That's a very diplomatic way of putting it. In reality, Michigan is a nightmare of a job market for new police. Every hiring process that I went through had about 100 applicants per 1 open position. It's gotten worse since then, too.

For example, you're going to have to compete with over 100 Wayne County deputies with good training and plenty of experience that just got laid off. A new recruit just can't compete with that.

Michigan
10-12-2008, 02:00 AM
That's a very diplomatic way of putting it. In reality, Michigan is a nightmare of a job market for new police. Every hiring process that I went through had about 100 applicants per 1 open position. It's gotten worse since then, too.

For example, you're going to have to compete with over 100 Wayne County deputies with good training and plenty of experience that just got laid off. A new recruit just can't compete with that.

Yup. Take it from a guy whos name is MICHIGAN, Michigan sucks.....

nichols42
10-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Yup. Take it from a guy whos name is MICHIGAN, Michigan sucks.....

ok...i will look else where

Sabre
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't say to disqualify Michigan completely. I would not, however, pay my own way through an academy here. DPD has their own and pays you through it.

nichols42
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't say to disqualify Michigan completely. I would not, however, pay my own way through an academy here. DPD has their own and pays you through it.

Thanks bud..I sent the app. in and will see where it goes...working out daily any way.

JustmeintheD
10-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Just FYI.. DPD moves at there own pace with lots of hoops to jump through. I have been in the process for about 1.5 years now. I have 0 points on record and no criminal history. Just had oral boards a month ago. It has been quite the experience but I am hoping that I am close.. They say it should move quick now but who knows. Also, going on 3rd mcoles physical agility because they keep expiring. At least they will pay for this one. I am becoming a pro at it... Good luck, dont give up..

nichols42
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Just FYI.. DPD moves at there own pace with lots of hoops to jump through. I have been in the process for about 1.5 years now. I have 0 points on record and no criminal history. Just had oral boards a month ago. It has been quite the experience but I am hoping that I am close.. They say it should move quick now but who knows. Also, going on 3rd mcoles physical agility because they keep expiring. At least they will pay for this one. I am becoming a pro at it... Good luck, dont give up..

Thanks very much...What type of questions do they as you at the oral boards? Is it hard? How is the physical agility?

MIDeputy
10-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks very much...What type of questions do they as you at the oral boards? Is it hard? How is the physical agility?

Oral boards are all pretty similar. They ask a little bit about your background, life experiences and why you want to become a police officer? Then they get into what if questions or situational questons. Such as "what if you responded to a burglary alarm at a business and found that it had been broken into, while at the business your partner takes a candy bar without paying for it, how would you handle it?" Or "tell me about a time you were faced with adversity and how did you overcome it?" Things along those lines are common oral board type questions.

MCOLES Physical Agility Test information can be found here: http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,1607,7-229--147713--,00.html

star25what
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
There are depts in MI that continuously hire. Dearborn, Kalamazoo DPS, Washtenaw Co. is right now I think, there are a few more.

Don't rule MI out too fast if you really want to work here...I didn't.