PDA

View Full Version : I need Some Advice From A NYC correction officer

Wanna Be A CO
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
So heres the sceneario I am right now going through the process to become a NYC correction officer for the 2nd time . The first time i failed my drug test was because at the time i hung around alot of people that smoked weed but i never did myself. Since then I have stayed away from my friends that smoke weed atleast when they smoke anyway. So I figure i try it a second time everything is going smooth i pass my drug test and then I get to the oral Psyc he ask me if i ever done any drugs I tell him no he sees from my application that I applied for the correction officer exam before. So he asks what happened why didnt I follow through so I tell him I failed my drug test and he says to me I thought you never took any drugs and I told him that I never did and explained to him the situation. So the next day i get a letter in the mail saying ive been DQ'ed.My uncle is a deputy warden do you think he might have any pull to get me out of this mess or should i just appeal and move on. Somebody please give me some good info I really want to be a C.O. and I am ****ed that this Dr. Failed me.

thxbklyn
10-10-2008, 01:19 PM
why did u lie? That was the first question I was asked on my psych, the best answer is an honest one. Ur chances are looking pretty slim dude

Wanna Be A CO
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I didnt lie i was honest with him the whole time I never used any drugs. But the question here is do you think my uncle might be able to pull some strings be it that he is a deputy warden at rikers island

PADOC CO1
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Maybe you should call your unk, and let him know you failed a drug test. Then let him know you lied to psych. Ask him if he'll pull some strings.

Here in Pennsylvania, our Super's nephew (total idiot) got hired with a super low test score. This idiot got fired before he made it through our 1 year training period. Somehow this idiot then got hired over at SCI Camp Hill.

So go pull your strings. Just don't get any of us hurt in the process!!

I guess miracles do happen

NYboldest
10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I hope things work out for you.

Wanna Be A CO
10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Are you guys reading my post correctly I never did any Drugs period. I didnt lie to the psyc Dr. I told him the truth about everything.I dont know about your Supers nephew but I scored a 90 on my test and i am very serious about this job. And as far as pulling some strings i spoke to him all ready but I wasnt clear on what kind of powers a Deputy Warden actually has. Why would i want a fellow officer to get hurt I Im pretty sure me being 6 " 5 280lbs who has boxed before and played football will be able to care of myself and any fellow officer that i may work with.

thxbklyn
10-10-2008, 03:22 PM
If thats the case...its unfortunate for you, because very rarely does someone test positive for THC in their urine off of contact alone, did u try to appeal. It looks like at this point your uncle is your only hope, but if u want it really bad u should try to appeal it.
p.s. theres always a chance these forums are being watched, so u should keep something like that family business.

Iowa #1603
10-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Are you guys reading my post correctly I never did any Drugs period. I didnt lie to the psyc Dr. I told him the truth .

I think everyone read your post correctly.........to be brutally honest with you========they AND THE PSYC DR just plain don't believe you.

I dont know about your Supers nephew but I scored a 90 on my test and i am very serious about this job. And as far as pulling some strings i spoke to him all ready but I wasnt clear on what kind of powers a Deputy Warden actually has.

This is most likely in reference to what we in Corrections have seen many, many times===========where an incomptetent idiot who has no business in the field has used a "hook" to bypass the normal hiring process and taken the place of some deserving recruit.

Ok you spoke to your uncle------------WHAT DID HE SAY.........I'll wager that he told you to try again and be totally truthfull at all levels of the process.

Why would i want a fellow officer to get hurt I Im pretty sure me being 6 " 5 280lbs who has boxed before and played football will be able to care of myself and any fellow officer that i may work with.

Nobody said you WANTED to get someone hurt...............going back to by previous answer........the incompetent idiot who uses a "hook" many times needed that hook because they couldn't make the grade as a CO naturally ------doesn't do the job they were hired for-----and gets themselves or coworkers hurt or in trouble.

6'5 280 means absolutely nothing......I have seen officers your size and bigger turn to jelly when the fecal matter hit the rotary wind macine in a prison fight. And many 5'7" 175 lbs men and women do just fine

Friend...............as thxbklyn replied-------------it takes a heck of a lot of secondary contact with mj smoke to produce a positive THC urine........YOU had to have had a heck of a contact high........................

So lets recap:
#1 The psyc dr thinks you are not being truthful. Until you are able to convice him your chances are somewhere between slim and none.
#2 The experienced folks here on the internet forum don't really think you are being truthful.
#3 You are thinking of using a "hook" to get around the hiring process, which in the long run would tick off anyone who had to make the whole process work for them

Wait a year..........get your self together................re apply ..........disclose TRUTHFULLY everything that has happened with your other applications at the start of your new application------------hope the BI and psyc believe you this time......................forget your uncle exists..................................

You might have a better shot at that point.

Wanna Be A CO
10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I want to thank all you gentlemen for your honest answers. I joined this forum to get helpfull information from people who are already in the business. Not to be questioned on weather or not you do or dont believe that I was using drugs. Furthere more I am very competent to handle the duties of a correction officer. Somebody who is incompetent would have never been able to score anywhere near a 90 percent on the correction exam. And the last time i checked you still had to complete rigorous basic training and self defense courses just like any other applicant who has to complete the academy. I am not here to bash anyone but Iowa you dont know me from a hole in the wall and point blank is that im not them officers that you have seen turn into jelly I do believe that I would be trained the same exact way as those 5"7 175 lb men and women. The reason why I posted a thread was to find out how much power a deputy warden posses not to be ridiculed or called incompetent obviously a 90 percent is nowhere near incompetent .

NYSJAILER2008
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
So heres the sceneario I am right now going through the process to become a NYC correction officer for the 2nd time . The first time i failed my drug test was because at the time i hung around alot of people that smoked weed but i never did myself. Since then I have stayed away from my friends that smoke weed atleast when they smoke anyway. So I figure i try it a second time everything is going smooth i pass my drug test and then I get to the oral Psyc he ask me if i ever done any drugs I tell him no he sees from my application that I applied for the correction officer exam before. So he asks what happened why didnt I follow through so I tell him I failed my drug test and he says to me I thought you never took any drugs and I told him that I never did and explained to him the situation. So the next day i get a letter in the mail saying ive been DQ'ed.My uncle is a deputy warden do you think he might have any pull to get me out of this mess or should i just appeal and move on. Somebody please give me some good info I really want to be a C.O. and I am ****ed that this Dr. Failed me.
Why do you want to be a CO so bad? CO are NYS peace officers. You cannot hang out with felons and criminals and slime who break the law and that use and abuse illegal drugs. What happens if one or your loser friends gets locked up on rikers and they will, you might be tempted to bring them contraband. The doc did the right thing by DQing you. You failed your drug test not because you were around drugs because you used drugs and it had to be recent. Leave LE careers to those that uphold the law and hang around company that does also. You track record is shot with any LE process because your lies and drug abuse history and DQ's will show up everytime. I say stay with your current job. If I were your uncle I would not but my career and good name on the line to get you a hook job postition. If you do not earn LE job in life on your own merit then you donot deserve to be LE

Iowa #1603
10-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I want to thank all you gentlemen for your honest answers. I joined this forum to get helpfull information from people who are already in the business. Not to be questioned on weather or not you do or dont believe that I was using drugs. Furthere more I am very competent to handle the duties of a correction officer. Somebody who is incompetent would have never been able to score anywhere near a 90 percent on the correction exam. And the last time i checked you still had to complete rigorous basic training and self defense courses just like any other applicant who has to complete the academy. I am not here to bash anyone but Iowa you dont know me from a hole in the wall and point blank is that im not them officers that you have seen turn into jelly I do believe that I would be trained the same exact way as those 5"7 175 lb men and women. The reason why I posted a thread was to find out how much power a deputy warden posses not to be ridiculed or called incompetent obviously a 90 percent is nowhere near incompetent .

You got answers from several people who are in the business. I could care less if you want to use my advice.

Re read my posting ......I never called YOU incompetent and yea I don't know you......................I simply gave you advice based on the information you posted and my experience.

My experience includes working in the Corrections/Law Enforcement field for the last 32 years...........and being an active shift supervisor in a maximum security prison for the last 11 yrs. I have been involved in the interviewing process, hiring process, training and line supervisor for a prison that holds 1200 maximum security inmates. In other words===I have walked the walk and talked the talk. Probably since before you were born.

Yes an person can score 90 on a test and still be a lousey officer. Seen it many times.........I can even recall a few people I interviewed and recommended for hiring that turned out to be turds after I though they would be EXCELLENT staff.
I know a staff member who has a masters degree (obviously a very intelligent person who has been able to take tests for many many years) who doesn't have the common sense to be able to pour p i z z out of a boot.

I have also seen big burley he-men turn to jelly........................and since I don't know you, I have no idea where you would stand when it all comes down............my point was that size means nothing.....nothing at all

Now to get down to the nitty gritty

Understand the fact that some people are not going to give you the answers you want.................they are going to give you answers that they believe are true.. If your feelings get hurt by a total stranger on an internet forum telling you that they don't believe you.....................what are you going to do when a convicted murderer or rapist tells you to get off his range............you need a thicker skin.

I'll answer your question about the deputy warden======it depends on the system, and in some places even the instituiton. A deputy warden might, just might get you the hook to get into the job................................but his protection doesn't carry on to the ranges. He can not protect you from yourself. A person who is hooked into a job is usually not trusted by his co-workers. That can be fatal (a career ender) for someone who works in our field because you have to trust your partner when it hits the fan.

Your partner just might not cover your rear during an investigation because they resent the fact that you didn't follow the rules when you got hired.

In my system----------------I would take the deputy wardens wishes into account during an interview. Depending on how strongly I feel about the applicant and his/her interview I may or may not do what the deputy wants. Of course the deputy or the warden could over rule me..........it has happened in the past....and will in the future. Oh by the way that hasn't always worked out the best either................we have had some real dolts come on board due to interference from above..........and some pretty good officers too...............................it happens.

But it wouldn't matter too much because in your case--------------they would never make the interview because the BI wouldn't clear due to what someone thought was deception.

Good luck

Wanna Be A CO
10-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank You NYS Jailer for your reply Why do I want to be a correction officer so bad because for one it is a great career 2 I have a very strong intrest in law enforcement and 3 its a very interesting job its what i need I liked to be challenged I hate living a routine lifestyle and working a regular boring job. Just because my friends choose to throw away there life doesnt mean that I am willing to do the same. To be honest with you I am very different from alot of the people I hang out with but at the same time I am from the inner city so its not like I grew up with people who had dreams of being Drs Lawyers or even productive citizens of society. Most of them are childhood friends but that doesnt mean I would ever let them jeoperdize me or my future career or my freedom buy bringing in anytype of contraband for them. Let me ask you a question did you start to hang out with people that uphold the law simply because you are now doing the same? The Answer to that is probably yes which could very well be the outcome for myself if i were to get into the corrections department. You cant judge a book by its cover but you can judge a book by whats written in between the pages.

NYSJAILER2008
10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank You NYS Jailer for your reply Why do I want to be a correction officer so bad because for one it is a great career 2 I have a very strong intrest in law enforcement and 3 its a very interesting job its what i need I liked to be challenged I hate living a routine lifestyle and working a regular boring job. Just because my friends choose to throw away there life doesnt mean that I am willing to do the same. To be honest with you I am very different from alot of the people I hang out with but at the same time I am from the inner city so its not like I grew up with people who had dreams of being Drs Lawyers or even productive citizens of society. Most of them are childhood friends but that doesnt mean I would ever let them jeoperdize me or my future career or my freedom buy bringing in anytype of contraband for them. Let me ask you a question did you start to hang out with people that uphold the law simply because you are now doing the same? The Answer to that is probably yes which could very well be the outcome for myself if i were to get into the corrections department. You cant judge a book by its cover but you can judge a book by whats written in between the pages.
Now this all my be true because I grew up in the (HOOD) LOL harlem,bronx,BK....and ran with the wrong crowd at some time in my youth. But I grew up needed to take care of my self and family and just like you wanted a demanding rewarding carreer in LE that everyone could be proud of. So If all that you say is true then I would love to have you as a fellow Bro in Blue. But the agency that you are appying for might not feel the same way. If you are true to yourself and know what you really want go with the appeal, and good luck to you.

Your friendly nieghborhood CO

co1669
10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I might be wrong but your uncle does not have pull outside the department to get you hired after being disqualified twice unless he is very,very good friends with Gov.Patterson.The psych is not from the department of correction.they are psyches working for the city but are not affiliated with any city agency.You can appeal but that will take a LONG time but you have been disqualified twice and that does not work in your favor.I know of one person that failed a urine test because his girlfriend was a heavy pot smoker and smoked around him all the time so it is possible to fail that way because i know for a fact he did not smoke.Good luck to you.

inxs996
10-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Man, short and sweet, i don't know you, but i believed you lied, you were definitely doing drugs, and you got caught,

You don't belong on the job, end of story...

Probably would be selling drugs to the prisoners, stay off the job.....

fabolous084
10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Most of them are childhood friends but that doesnt mean I would ever let them jeoperdize me or my future career or my freedom

If what you say about the drug test is true sorry to say you already let them have.....

NyCborn
10-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Take it easy and just keep trying, I understand **** HAPPENS! Inxs996... to go as far as saying he will sell drugs to prisoners??? give me a F@#King break everyone has done things which we do regret. you do not know this gentlemen to pass judgment like that. If everyone in the field was fired because of trying drugs there would be a lot of unemployed C.O's. WaNNA BE A Co if you want work for the city or government period, certain friends can only be associated with over the phone until you pass your probation period because they will never understand that them smoking weed will jeopardize your future. So in short, put your self and family first because you not being able to get a job is only going to hurt them.

inxs996
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Take it easy and just keep trying, I understand **** HAPPENS! Inxs996... to go as far as saying he will sell drugs to prisoners??? give me a F@#King break everyone has done things which we do regret. you do not know this gentlemen to pass judgment like that. If everyone in the field was fired because of trying drugs there would be a lot of unemployed C.O's. WaNNA BE A Co if you want work for the city or government period, certain friends can only be associated with over the phone until you pass your probation period because they will never understand that them smoking weed will jeopardize your future. So in short, put your self and family first because you not being able to get a job is only going to hurt them.

Well, you had your say and its all bull****....

kids try drugs, not people in the field, adults don't mess with **** like that, i have zero feelings for drug users, even occasional users, i have never nor would i ever use any form of drugs, don't even need to take an Tylenol if i have a headache...

his story is bull****, failed a test cause he was around users, he probably would of had have been sitting in their laps, you can't fall for that story...

also anyone with a COs job desires, shouldn't be hanging around people like that...

and yes i stick by my beliefs, he would of definitely been a problem for the jail, hes even trying to use his uncle to get the job, he surely would of believed that he was above the law with his uncle...

and before you think i am some dumb wet behind the ears kid, i have been involved with law enforcement for nearly 26 years of my life....

srq screw
10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
after reading this kid's story, i think it is BS, too.

the first thing the BIs tell you (and the most important thing) is to never lie to them. simple as that.

i don't care how big this guy is - i wouldn't want this guy watching my back because i couldn't trust him.

ditr
10-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Wow ...

So lemmie get this straight ... u took 2 CO exams. The first 1 u got disqualified because of the medical (drug test). The 2nd test u got psych disqualified for sayin u don't do drugs, but yet failed the drug test from the previous exam so it seems like u lied.

O.k ... idk but sh*t happenz ...

IMO your best bet would be to either take the test a third time and ask ur uncle if he can talk to whoever he knows that could put u thru (once u get ur list # and all that from the new exam) or appeal the 1st disqualification (drug test) and see if they overturn it.

In ur situation ... a DW being able 2 put u on?? The only way he could is if your in good standing on another list or if u sucessfully reverse the disqualification ... or as someone else said if he's friends with the gov. ... or the mayor lol. Also it depends on who he/she knows that's in charge of making hiring decisions.

I wish u the best in whatever u decide to do.
I think that if u really want the job keep tryin.

... & use whatever hook u have because that's what most people would do if they could.

Iowa #1603
10-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Wow ...

So lemmie get this straight ... u took 2 CO exams. The first 1 u got disqualified because of the medical (drug test). The 2nd test u got psych disqualified for sayin u don't do drugs, but yet failed the drug test from the previous exam so it seems like u lied.

O.k ... idk but sh*t happenz ...

IMO your best bet would be to either take the test a third time and ask ur uncle if he can talk to whoever he knows that could put u thru (once u get ur list # and all that from the new exam) or appeal the 1st disqualification (drug test) and see if they overturn it.

In ur situation ... a DW being able 2 put u on?? The only way he could is if your in good standing on another list or if u sucessfully reverse the disqualification ... or as someone else said if he's friends with the gov. ... or the mayor lol. Also it depends on who he/she knows that's in charge of making hiring decisions.

I wish u the best in whatever u decide to do.
I think that if u really want the job keep tryin.

... & use whatever hook u have because that's what most people would do if they could.

ditr
This is professional internet forum please do not use chat room and/or text message format as it is very hard to read and understand.

ditr
10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
ditr
This is professional internet forum please do not use chat room and/or text message format as it is very hard to read and understand.

I shortened a couple of words in my response because it was a fairly long post. Sorry you had trouble reading it.

I'll keep what you said in mind for the next time I post.

brooklyn331
10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
You cant appeal CITY Corrections,State yes. not CITY ,you guys dint pay attention in Orientation, WANNA BE A C.O,probably young take some time to sharpen your interview skills,NO ONE is going o belive that YOUR friend is the only one smoking you can say it until you blue in the face,you know how many times they heard that story??? The only person that you should've been asking if they can pull you in was your uncle..is to late now..WE know who your uncle is .wait a couple of years and be honest. people mess up,even WANNA BE PERFECT BUT WILL NEVER BE Iowa #1603..If you really want it start with campus police,school safety,traffic,show them that you been working hard towards your goal,get a degree in jonh jay.build yourself ,dont mention your bad friends and family only the good ones.

ditr
10-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Brooklyn 331 what orientation did you go to?? I'm sorry to say but if someone told you that who works at D.O.C, their mistaken.

When it comes to the Civil Service System you can appeal ANY action taken against you. It doesn't matter weather it's City, State, or Federal Gov't. Each have their own system set up to deal with issues such as this.

As far as trying to get into campus police, school safety etc. It would be very difficult for him based on the fact that he was disqualified from D.O.C twice.

But anythings possible ... lol ... sh*t happenz.

inxs996
10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Brooklyn 331 what orientation did you go to?? I'm sorry to say but if someone told you that who works at D.O.C, their mistaken.

When it comes to the Civil Service System you can appeal ANY action taken against you. It doesn't matter weather it's City, State, or Federal Gov't. Each have their own system set up to deal with issues such as this.

As far as trying to get into campus police, school safety etc. It would be very difficult for him based on the fact that he was disqualified from D.O.C twice.

But anythings possible ... lol ... sh*t happenz.

Ye i would have to agree, i have been involved with Civil Service type jobs my whole life, and i know that for every step of the hiring process there is a appeal process...

WISCH
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Although I’m not aware of the specific process you’re going through, I would highly suggest you get in touch with either HR or perhaps a recruiter if one is available to get information in concern to an appeal process.
Also, although I do not know your specific friendship situation, there’s an old saying my mom use to tell me when I was growing up…Tell me who your friends are, and I’ll know who you are. If you’re trying to pursue a career in law enforcement, perhaps this is a good time to kindly let your friends know that you need to be on the straight and narrow. You need to decide if your friends are more important than a career. This will be especially true when your background investigator starts to question your references/neighbors about individuals you associate with.
Finally…I understand that you have an uncle who is a Deputy Warden. Although I’m sure you might want to pull some strings to get yourself in, just remember that you wouldn’t be earning it by your own merit; especially after being disqualified twice. That’s just my opinion however. My suggestion is to get some college under your belt if you haven’t already, reevaluate your friendships, and set some goals for yourself. ALSO REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BE HONEST AND FORTHRIGHT. If being a CO is what you really want to do, I’m sure you can get to that position after some time.

Goods
10-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Your assed out.

thxbklyn
10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Your assed out.

lol

Wanna Be A CO
10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I just want to thank all of you gentlemen and woman if any did post for your advice. I heard back from my hook as you guys call it and he informed me there wasnt to much that he could do because once the Dr. fails you which is hired by the city there is nothing that can be done. So now my question to you all is after you get your own psychologist who evaluates you and he determines that you arent crazy and you are mentally tough enough to handle the job are your chances better on being able to be re qualified for the job and how tough is the appeal board on you when you go to meet face to face with them

CombatVet
10-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Hmmm, I thought that you got DQued from the psych because the Dr thought you lied. If that's the case getting your own pschycologist to give you a green light will be as good as tits on a bull.

On the other hand if you were turned away because of your mental capacity I would appeal it and look into other areas in the meantime. When I went through the academy I met someone who got their psych eval overturned and he graduated with me. So there is hope.

Still appeals take some time so you should use that time wisely. Have a back up plan just in case things go the wrong way.

Note: people who will believe that you never did drugs after coming up positive on a test = slim and next to none. If things works out and you get another shot, be smart about what you say.

Good luck.

Wanna Be A CO
10-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Hmmm, I thought that you got DQued from the psych because the Dr thought you lied. If that's the case getting your own pschycologist to give you a green light will be as good as tits on a bull.

I think that is why I got disqualified but I was never told the exact reason why I was disqualified

inxs996
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
i am quite sure that somewhere it is noted why you got DQed, they just can't DQ you cause he didn't like your hair color, so, what i mean is that they have to have something concrete that they based their decision on, so i would inquire of them as to the reason for the DQ, and if they refused to give you specific reasons, then i would contact an attorney and have him inquire, all of this would cost considerable amounts of money, but if you want your reason for being DQed and also to have your matter reconsidered, that would be your only option....