PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Test

EricDel
09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
If you were to take the NYPD Civil Exam in Feburary, when would you be looking at getting into an academy considering you pass everything else as well. Just trying to make a time frame for this upcoming year. Thanks

the rookie c.o
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
If you were to take the NYPD Civil Exam in Feburary, when would you be looking at getting into an academy considering you pass everything else as well. Just trying to make a time frame for this upcoming year. Thanks

WELL it depends, If you have all your credits then it can be a very good chance that you might make the july 09 class and get thru the process with out being red flag on any of the steps.

BayRidge
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Why not take the test earlier to get the ball rolling? If you really want to make the July '09 class that is.

EricDel
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I receive my bachelor's degree in beginning of feb. so that should help...

Well I'd like to take the exam early if I can, I was looking at the website and it looks like they only offer 2 dates of testing so far? I missed the registration for the Oct. one.

bkny27
09-28-2008, 06:19 PM
http://nypdrecruit.com/PDF/NYPD_5139929_College_8000_poster.NEW.pdf

this says they have walk in exams 6 days a week give it a try. not sure if they still offer them tho

zeroryde
09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
take the test early so you will have a better exam #, therefore in the future..that's how vacation picks are determined with the same people that graduated with you... it's sorta a little extra seniority with those that have the same time as you.

EricDel
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
I was just worried taking it this early I do not want to qualify for the Jan academy because I will not be done with college yet, thanks.

Also, does NYPD just require you to pass the exam or do you need to score very high on it? Thanks again

NYCTNT
09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Eric,

lets make this simple.

A NYPD exam is good for 4 years. In between of those 4 years, other exams are given. If you took your exam 3 years ago, you have a higher chance of getting in and called from that list than a guy that took his exam a month ago.

You start the process when YOU want to start the process and NYPD will call YOU when they are READY to call you.
Its not a hard concept.

EricDel
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
If you score a very high on the exam does it matter when you take it? I'm going to apply no matter what but I am not sitting around 3 years waiting for NYPD to call me back, most big cities are hiring monthly now days and atleast within 6 months.

bkny27
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
If you score a very high on the exam does it matter when you take it? I'm going to apply no matter what but I am not sitting around 3 years waiting for NYPD to call me back, most big cities are hiring monthly now days and atleast within 6 months.

the academy takes 6 months so your ither going to be hired in july or january. NYPD hires this way because that how long there academy takes. If you take this test and pass all of the steps you should have no problem getting hired in july

EricDel
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Good news to hear, thanks.

k85o911
09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
DEcember earliest. it takes 3 mos to get the results back, so may, you get them back and now with the next raise , there are thousands reopening old exams, so u will be on the bottom of priority and rank ......

EricDel
09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh.. well I am going to try and take their exam as soon as possible then so I can hopefully get on in July.

EricDel
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been reading more into NYPD and I found that most rookies go to IMPACT? What do you guys think of that program? How long is a rookie usually assigned to impact before they get to be a in a car with a partner and start answering calls/complaints?

gbotj
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Eric, do a search on impact.

theres a long thread on it, you should get all your answers there.

NYCTNT
10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
You answer calls and complaints while in impact as well.

Impact can range up until the next class comes out(6 months), and can be extended up to a year or more. Depending on the impact zone and if there are enough cops coming in.

Once out of impact, you go to a "real" precinct and go into FTU. That is probably another 3months or so. After you complete FTU, then you get into a regular patrol squad.

EricDel
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Do you tend to be in different precincts for each step?

NYCTNT
10-01-2008, 04:21 PM
There is nothing certain in the NYPD.

WHO KNOWS.

BigWill2876
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
You want sure and same ol same ol, then give Floyd the Barber a call and see if they are hiring in Mayberry....

EricDel
10-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Umm don't have to be a smart *** because there are many other major cities that do other practices. I'm sorry if I'm trying to find out if I get accepted by NYPD and I am going to be on footpost for 2 years is not important to you, because in my mind that's not real police work, and being by yourself does not teach you anything. Everyone needs to have a teacher at some point.

And every other major city in the USA does not imply that program. I'm not saying anything is wrong with it, I am just trying to find out everything I can about it. Soo keep the smart *** comments to yourself.

bkny27
10-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Umm don't have to be a smart *** because there are many other major cities that do other practices. I'm sorry if I'm trying to find out if I get accepted by NYPD and I am going to be on footpost for 2 years is not important to you, because in my mind that's not real police work, and being by yourself does not teach you anything. Everyone needs to have a teacher at some point.

And every other major city in the USA does not imply that program. I'm not saying anything is wrong with it, I am just trying to find out everything I can about it. Soo keep the smart *** comments to yourself.

Its usally a 6 month program up to 1 year. there are training officers there to teach you how to due things usually. You are basically a summons writing machine. Everyone does there time and you will get to a sector eventually like everyone else. They do due real police work tho, the calls you recieve are based on where you are working in impact.

EricDel
10-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Thank you for explaining.

NYCTNT
10-02-2008, 06:36 AM
A foot post is the nypd's best kept secret.

BigWill2876
10-02-2008, 08:43 AM
The point of my post was to alert you that there is NO hard and fast rule to what you will be doing, how long you will be doing it, or where you will be doing it...nor will you know what "it" is on a daily basis.

That's the beauty of the NYPD !

If you need to know where you will be in 10 years, what you will be doing in 10 years and what you will be in 10 years than maybe Mayberry is for you.

Different stokes for different folks, don't be so sensitive...

EricDel
10-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Point taken. Are you on NYPD right now? If you don't mind I have a couple ?s.

JRDRAGON
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi EricDel,
I just wanted to ask you if you took the test yet? I took the walk in on Oct 4.