PDA

View Full Version : School Safety Agent Background Questions

SHAUNMMC
09-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Any SSA's know if its worth applying if you have police experience but a no- conviction DUI arrest from 2005.

Do they go by the 5-year gap as they do for police officers?

NYCTNT
09-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Why not just apply and see what happens?

5 year gap is a myth, it is not concrete. Case by case basis.

SHAUNMMC
09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I want to but when I applied for NYPD as a police officer, I made it to the medical portion and they placed me on review, I assume for the 2005 No conviction DUI. That was November 2007.

I guess I'll just apply.

Bkbadboy75
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Apply for it and here's a little secret do 2 years as a SSA and the come over to NYCDOC.......plenty of School Safety Agent even with years on came over. Take the test for NYCDOC and get on a list..

SHAUNMMC
09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I took the test for doc back in may. havent gotten my scores yet

gbotj
09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Shaun, DCAS usually takes about 6 months to send out results.

I have heard that NYPD BI's like to see a 3 year gap. Never heard of the 5 year gap before. But as TNT said, it goes case by case.

ImportInvasion
09-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey whats up? Im an SSA, and I also had a prior arrest when I got hired. In my case, the arrest took place when I was a teen, so it wasnt too bad. BUT, even though it occurred over five years from when I got on the job, I still had to explain it numerous, numerous times. I must have wrote that story no less than five times, and was questioned numerous times with regard. The only way to know, is to take the test, and go through the process. I cant say it enough,... we are in NEED of officers right now. Its probably the best time ever to get on. And as others have mentioned, if you like corrections, they have an extreme fondness for school safety officers. Our jobs are very similar. About 50% PD, 50% corrections, 100% underpaid. lol

DEcop989
09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Import - after testing, do you fill out one of the ridiculous BI packets asking for the SS printout and whatnot. I've had maybe twenty jobs in five years when you count all the part time security gigs I worked when I worked Corrections in PA. They want them all? nd what about companies/agencies that don't exist anymore!

SHAUNMMC
09-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys. I'll apply and see what happens.

ImportInvasion
09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
DEcop989 Yes you have to do one of those long tedious packages. This was one of the longest job interviews of my life. Remember, its the NYPD. Everything was excessively scrutinized. And I mean everything. Remember, you have written exam, interview, medical, physical agility, written psych, oral psych, then the fun starts at the academy. Which by the way is now held at the regular police academy on 20th street.

DEcop989
09-25-2008, 07:33 PM
So what you're saying is (IPC throwback for my fellow LEOs) I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the job and if I do it will be the middle of 09 before even the academy starts

ImportInvasion
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Negative - What I am saying is that this job is similar to just about every law enforcement job in the sense that you will have to go through a long hiring process. Due to the fact that we are down quite a few officers, I personally believe that if you are interested in this job, now is the best time to sign up. Just score well on the test, and you will be here in no time. No job in LE happens overnight, but timing is everything. This is a good time.

DEcop989
09-25-2008, 11:03 PM
e d i t e d . . . .

NYCTNT
09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
NYPD PO is practically overnight. All you need is 3-5 months and you are hired.