PDA

View Full Version : Military Separation

East143
09-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Quick question, when I was 18 I joined the marine corp. I was not ready for the commitment at the time and I was separated before I finished basic training with an entry level separation due to failure to adapt to the marine corp environment.

I do not have a discharge since I never finished basic training, but I do have an entry level separation. I was told it was not on my record, but I do have a dd-214.

My question is will this disqualify from applying to any police departments? This happened about 7 years ago so it has been quite a while.

Thanks

Bearcat357
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Quick question, when I was 18 I joined the marine corp. I was not ready for the commitment at the time and I was separated before I finished basic training with an entry level separation due to failure to adapt to the marine corp environment.

I do not have a discharge since I never finished basic training, but I do have an entry level separation. I was told it was not on my record, but I do have a dd-214.

My question is will this disqualify from applying to any police departments? This happened about 7 years ago so it has been quite a while.

Thanks

A. You do have a discharge. A DD214 is your Discharge Papers and Veterans Separation Documents....

B. Read over what type of separation it is. If it's General then you have a chance....maybe...depending on the agency. If it's less than honorable.....then you are screwed till you get it upgraded to a General. Even then, I know folks that have General Discharges and can't get into LE.....that's life.....

C. Your last 7 years of work history/criminal background/financial history has to be imbecable.

Why would an agency want to hire you.....when they can hire guys/gals with clean discharges, higher education, and/or good job history....?

Candidate A has 5 months in the military....got booted out because they failed to adapt....has had a few jobs over the last 7 years.....semi-crappy credit....and thinks they have now found their true calling based on watching Law and Order, The First 48, and Cops.....

Candidate B has 6 years Active Military, has 60 hours of Higher Education, is excellent shape, and good credit....

Guess who they are going to hire...?

And that's just clowning and coming up with two basic candidates......

There are folks out there that have a lot of military time (reserve and active duty), honorable discharge or still in the Reserves/Guard, college degrees and perhaps working on Masters, plus have a good 4-5 years of work experience while going to school or good work experience after graduating that are tired of working in their particular field of study........Plus you have the folks that don't have any military time but do have a 4 year degree.....maybe something higher as well.....good work history....good/great credit history....and just want a change in life....and want to get into LE.....

Once again.....sorry to say but you are at the lower end of the highering pool unless you have really done something over the last 7 years of your life since being bounced from the Military.....

hobbsie711
09-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Bearcat nailed it. Check to see what kind of discharge you got. When I get home I'll look at mine to tell you exactly which box it's in. If there was no misconduct it will probably be a general or honorable. As long as it was just a failure to adapt

just joe
09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Most places will DQ you if you have anything other than an Honorable. Police departments are paramilitary organizations and the assumption is going to be that if you can't adapt to one you will probably not adapt to the other. Assuming you are not already screwed, you are going to have to prove that you have matured and are capable of being given significant responsibility.

C-15
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
i was in the navy so i cant speak for the MC but my papers show a RE-code re-enlistment code 1,2,3,4, and so on, in the navy if you have a RE-4 your screwed meaning you cant even attempt to get back in to the service. you might want to do some homework before you get marked before you even get started in LE

East143
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the advice. I agree with all of you that it will not be easy, but I have been doing my best over the last couple of years to make my situation better. I have a graduated from a top notch university with degree in international business, and I have been spending the last couple of years running a business I started. I know this isn't law enforcement experience, but I feel it at least shows that I am cable of responsibility and commitment.

My DD-214 is as follows, I believe my reentry code said 2 years and a wavier required to join the military again.

Answer the following questions using your DD form 214 (Active
Duty)

[29] What is in Block 4b? E-1
[30] What is in Block 6? None
[31] What is in Block 12a? 2003 1 month 27 days
[32] What is in Block 12b? 2003 3 months 12 days
[33] Is Block 15b marked yes or no? Yes
[34] What is in Block 23? Entry Level Separation
[35] What is in Block 24? Uncharacterized
[36] What is in Block 26? JGA1
[37] What is in Block 27? RE-3F
[38] What is in Block 28? Entry Level Performance and Conduct

Does this help at all?

PhilipCal
09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
If you have a DD 214, the discharge is on your record. If your seperation was under Honorable Conditions.(General Discharge) you might have a shot. It will be a long shot though, as most agencies have plenty of applicants who have recieved Honorable Discharges. As has been correctly pointed out, most LE agencies are semi-military in nature. What I suggest you do is some research. Check out the entry level requirements for any agency which interests you. Determine whether or not you meet the basic criteria to apply. Speak to a Recruiter and run your situation by him/her. My sense is that you're going to have an uphill battle, but it's possible you'd be a fit somewhere.

East143
09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
So far every police department I have checked out I meet and exceed the minimum qualifications, this is the only thing I seem to have holding me back. I guess I just need to speak with a recruiter.

irishlad2nv
09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Find out what your discharge is first. One major thing a recruiter will ask since you were in the military is, what is on your DD-214 and what the discharge is.

wirefire2
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you for the advice. I agree with all of you that it will not be easy, but I have been doing my best over the last couple of years to make my situation better. I have a graduated from a top notch university with degree in international business, and I have been spending the last couple of years running a business I started. I know this isn't law enforcement experience, but I feel it at least shows that I am cable of responsibility and commitment.

My DD-214 is as follows, I believe my reentry code said 2 years and a wavier required to join the military again.

Answer the following questions using your DD form 214 (Active
Duty)

[29] What is in Block 4b? E-1
[30] What is in Block 6? None
[31] What is in Block 12a? 2003 1 month 27 days
[32] What is in Block 12b? 2003 3 months 12 days
[33] Is Block 15b marked yes or no? Yes
[34] What is in Block 23? Entry Level Separation
[35] What is in Block 24? Uncharacterized
[36] What is in Block 26? JGA1
[37] What is in Block 27? RE-3F
[38] What is in Block 28? Entry Level Performance and Conduct

Does this help at all?

Yeah it does help, if I was doing application screening for a PD I wouldn't look any further in your resume. Its very bad to be blunt. Its pretty clear that you up and quit in boot camp. You received a little pressure and bailed out. Looking to police officer you probably wouldn't last long.

East143
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
You are right, at the time I was not ready for any type of pressure and I did quit on myself, and I have been regretting it ever since. When I was that age I was not mature enough for what I signed up for.

I do feel like obtaining a college degree and running my own business should show some type of commitment and ability to handle pressure. I am not trying to argue though and I do appreciate your input.

stormz5192
09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Go back in the military and start what you finished. Get a new DD214 with an honorable discharge. That'll fix your problem.

East143
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree, that seems like the best way to go about it. If I come out with an honorable discharge this one fades away?

DACP
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Blocks 23, 24, 27, and 28 tell it all 28 is the kicker (to me at least) “Entry Level Performance and Conduct” to me it is saying you could not perform to standard, and your conduct was not what the military wanted. 27 tells me with a waver a hope and a prayer you might get back in.
If you do go back in, this DD214 does not go away per say, as it will always be there, but the one that states HONARIABLE will shine brighter and makes the old one more easy to explain

TPD94
09-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I know in my state, if it doesn't say Honorable...you're pretty much screwed. And even though it says Honorable, some will ask, and don't be surprised, some will know. Thing is, you failed to adapt to the military, now you're expecting to do pretty much the same thing without close supervision at times...Failure to adapt does not fit into this category. Hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to keep your business and try to focus on that instead. I was an NCO in the military, and trust me, I loved to mess with those who failed to adapt, because the military was not hard, it's the person who joins that makes it hard for themselves.

East143
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I guess I will see what happens.