X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martin11
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2004

nypd hiring

I am new to this site and don't know where to start to get any feedback or advice. My questions are for the NYPD people out there. My investigator told me my background check was complete and all I had left was the agility test and a mini-medical exam so I could slide into the January class. What I want to know is do you have a preference of where you can be assigned after you graduate the academy? The reason I ask this is when I was in the service at the end of boot camp you had a list to pick what duty station you would like to go. Also how long do you have to pay dues timewise in order to apply to a specialized unit? Any insight or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!
    Last edited by martin11; 11-01-2004, 01:52 PM.
  • SD3100
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2004

martin11-

While in the Academy, you do submit a "dream sheet" with your picks of where you'd most like to work. Unfortunately, it might be more appropriate to call it a "keep dreaming sheet." The Department has changed things around recently, so I'm not sure how the dream sheet will work in the January class. They used to allow you to pick your top two choices for patrol boroughs (ex. Brooklyn North/Manhattan South) and within each patrol borough, you select three precincts you would like (ex. 83, 88, 73), then you pick whether you would prefer Housing or Transit Bureau.

Now, the list consists of your top six choices, two each from city, housing and transit. Your selection is merely a suggestion for the Personnel Bureau and you will be placed based on the needs of the department. Having a hook in the department (someone you know who has a little bit of power) helps you get a choice assignment, but in my opinion, people who call in favors to get their first assignment are wasting a phone call that might get them into a good detail or an investigative gig a few years down the line.

As far as specialty units, put in your time on patrol and try to network. Take advantage of all the training you can get your hands on. The soonest you'll get into a good detail is after your probationary period, but more likely, you're looking at 3-5 years.

SD3100

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32909 users online. 58 members and 32851 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...