X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traditionalist
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2010

1st Day

Tomorrow morning I start a temp. assignment to the detectives unit, any last minute advise?
  • OneAdam12
    Conservitum Americum
    • Dec 2010

My pappy used to say, "Better to have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Use spell checker.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

• PtlCop
      OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
      • Apr 2009

Gain 60 pounds, grow a goatee and talk about how much better it was when you were on the road. Clear one case a month. Show up at 9:00 am, spend the first 2 hours talking about what you did the night before, spend the next hour talking about where you're going to lunch, go to lunch for 2 hours. Come back to the office, return 3 phone calls, write a case supplement that says "attempted contact, unsuccessful." Spend the next 3 hours talking about how great it is to be able to wear khakis and a polo shirt to work. Go home and repeat the next day.
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

• gamberc
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2010

^ hahahahaha your my hero

Comment

• Georgetime
          Infiltration Unit
          • Dec 2005

Rule #1: Learn how to ignore smart *** remarks from jealous road cops who didn't put in for a detective slot.
          Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

• Iowa #1603
            Senior Veteran
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by PtlCop
            Gain 60 pounds, grow a goatee and talk about how much better it was when you were on the road. Clear one case a month. Show up at 9:00 am, spend the first 2 hours talking about what you did the night before, spend the next hour talking about where you're going to lunch, go to lunch for 2 hours. Come back to the office, return 3 phone calls, write a case supplement that says "attempted contact, unsuccessful." Spend the next 3 hours talking about how great it is to be able to wear khakis and a polo shirt to work. Go home and repeat the next day.
            It is only a temp assignment.......................do all of that .

I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Traditionalist
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2010

Thanks for the advise, although I'm going to pass on the gaining 60 pounds tip.

Comment

• SRT936
                Barefoot Ninja
                • Dec 2003

Talk to dirt bags, all the time. As much it might pain you, be nice to dirt bags. Detective work is an information driven business. Without info, you won't make cases. I've made more cases on Joe Dirtbag calling me up and saying "Hey, So&So is bragging that he's got a bunch of computers for sale."

Find a guy in your unit who knows what he's doing and making cases. Tag along on as many field excursions as you can.

Ask questions of the guys who will answer them.

Don't let a case with active leads sit. Be aggressive and track down those leads. Get creative.

Take copious notes. Write down EVERYTHING no matter how trivial you might think it is. You'd be amazed how often one little tidbit of info will suddenly be a major piece of the puzzle once more facts comes in.
                \

Comment

• just joe
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2006

If you don't own one already, buy a pastel colored sports coat.

Comment

• PtlCop
                    OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by just joe
                    If you don't own one already, buy a pastel colored sports coat.
                    If you DO own one already, what the F for? Turn in your man card!
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

• Smurfette_76
                      Verbal Sniper
                      • Jan 2007

Being organized as a Defective is different than that of a road officer. Get business cards and give them out like candy. People will call you, usually when it benefits them, but you need CIs. You don't have to be a dick to those you arrest because today's suspect will want to help themselves out tomorrow. Some people are exceptions. Don't forget where you came from. If a road Officer is going to get stuck with your prisoner or on your crime scene while you're writing a SW, then TELL them what's going on. Note everything. Every call. Every message left. Everything. It's been my experience, people complain more on Detectives than road Officers (for different reasons). I have a checklist that I use and I put it in the front of every case I start. I'm more than willing to send it to you (as well as a death investigation checklist) when I get back to work if you think it'll help (it's helped me bunches). Send me your work email addy and I'll get it to you as soon as I go back to work.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34333 users online. 34 members and 34299 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...