• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHNSP_ADMIN
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2008

Ammo question

Quick question.

I live in a place where may neighors house is less than 200 yards away. I am looking for some type of ammo for my 9mm that if fired would not pass through my exterior wall and into my neighbors house.

My thought is that if i were forced to use my weapon any led that missed its target might harm the family next door...

Any suggestions?
    The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.
  • Blackdog F4i
    Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    • May 2006

DO NOT use FMJ.

Pick the ammo that will have a reasonable chance of stopping a threat.

Then practice until you can hit what you are aiming at.

If the above two statements make you uncomfortable, then make sure you store your weapon unloaded with a trigger lock on it.

You are talking about a 9mm, not a .30'06.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• kirkhammett
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2010

Remington has a new ammo specifically designed for home defense. Oddly enough it's called "Ultimate Home Defense"

Remington Ultimate Home Defense

Comment

• Blackdog F4i
        Oh no, it's da Po-Po
        • May 2006

No one has yet to be able to give me a credible answer to why "home defense" ammo should be any different than "duty ammo", "tactical ammo" or any other ammunition that you would use in a permissive environment where collateral damage is not acceptable. (this pretty much describes anywhere you would discharge a firearm in a urban setting in the US).

In any of those situations you ideally want the projectile to expend all of it's energy in the target without leaving the target. If you want a load that will not penetrate walls, get a .410 shotgun and load it with birdshot. The downside is that it is not likely to stop an attacker and will render a flesh wound at best. Any pistol round that will penetrate the 8-10" of ballistic gel that is the general standard for defensive ammo, WILL penetrate most residential exterior walls.

The solution is HIT YOUR TARGET. If you don't think you can HIT YOUR TARGET, then practice until you can.

In case you just want to jump to the end result, I load my 9mm pistols with Federal Hydrashok. It is a reasonable performer and proven effective round. Remington Golden Sabre and Winchester SXT are also good choices.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• kirkhammett
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2010

Well I can't argue with any of that really. I was just pointing out a new load designed for home defense he may wanna check out. You are absolutely right though, any SD load shouldn't over penetrate assuming you hit your target.
          Last edited by kirkhammett; 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• DOAcop38
            South central escapee...
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i
            DO NOT use FMJ.

Pick the ammo that will have a reasonable chance of stopping a threat.

Then practice until you can hit what you are aiming at.

If the above two statements make you uncomfortable, then make sure you store your weapon unloaded with a trigger lock on it.

You are talking about a 9mm, not a .30'06.
            I agree with you on the store "unloaded"( if he has a semi auto pistol,magazine loaded,no round chambered) BUT ,9mm can and will penetrate alot better than people give credit for. Alot of the new homes, basically dry wall boxes, offer little in the way of defeating, or deflecting most modern rounds.Rmember training with LASD at their laser village and the firearms instructors were explaining as well as showing ( including training vids) of deputies basic loads punching thru side walls from the interior and exterior,even some of the fancy front doors barely slowing some rounds. I may not be a firearms or ammo expert, but I'd suggest the orig, poster look at subsonic rounds,or jacketed soft point rounds if avail.( a "yuck " factor for LE ,as we're more concerned about barrel fouling) as they would probably expand better, with less penetration.
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

• 55-502
              Retired Lawdog
              • Dec 2008

I must say that you are a thoughtful and considerate neighbor, but the safety of you and your family must be a priority and worries about a target 200 yards outside of your home shouldn't be an issue. If this IS a real issue with you, I would consider a shotgun with birdshot, or switch to a 9mm Frangible round or a soft hollow point like the Winchester Silvertip.

Just to give some perspective on my comment, I live in a new community where the homes are all thin walled and Vinyl siding, and the lots are "Zero Lot Line" so my neighbor is 8 feet from my home. I have a dozen+ loaded weapons in my home from a
              .380 to a .45 Colt, all loaded with +P JHP's, and until your post I hadn't even given a second thought to over penetration.
              Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
              Toby Keith

Comment

• JustAJ
                Secret Squirrel
                • Jan 2010

I also have neighbors close at hand. My choice was:

Comment

• 10-7Alpha
                  Littering and?
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by 55-502
                  I must say that you are a thoughtful and considerate neighbor, but the safety of you and your family must be a priority and worries about a target 200 yards outside of your home shouldn't be an issue. If this IS a real issue with you, I would consider a shotgun with birdshot, or switch to a 9mm Frangible round or a soft hollow point like the Winchester Silvertip.

Just to give some perspective on my comment, I live in a new community where the homes are all thin walled and Vinyl siding, and the lots are "Zero Lot Line" so my neighbor is 8 feet from my home. I have a dozen+ loaded weapons in my home from a
                  .380 to a .45 Colt, all loaded with +P JHP's, and until your post I hadn't even given a second thought to over penetration.
                  My thoughts were the same on this topic, even down to the bird shot. Small concession I made though was the AR and AK are FMJ, if the big guys come up to bat in home D, then yeah the neighbors are just going to have to roll the dice. But since I have an all brick front, their chances go up.
                  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                  After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

• Surf
                    24/7/365
                    • Sep 2007

If you have made the decision to use a firearm in defense of your life and/or the lives of loved ones use quality defensive ammo. LEO's may very well need to shoot in a crowd or around others in homes etc, you don't see LE picking frangible rounds for duty use for a very good reason. Never mind gimmicky, underpowered or frangible ammo, it can get you and/or your family killed. Again if you are taking on the responsibility of utilizing a firearm for defensive purposes, it is your obligation to be highly skilled and proficient in its use and how to employ sound defensive tactics especially within your own home.

Know your target, backstop and beyond. In your home, know your angles and know what your backstop may be and where that round may travel and whats in that direction. Know how to utilize angles, perhaps taking a knee to get an upward angle etc, to achieve optimal effectiveness and lessening the dangers of where an errant round may end up. Have a complete and practiced plan of defense. You owe it to yourself and or those you chose to defend to be highly proficient with the firearm and how to deploy the weapon effectively in many varying situations and for goodness sake, pick a type of ammo that gives you the greatest advantage for winning. Because losing is not an option in this situation.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Oddball-Six
                      It erat quando hic adveni
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by JustAJ
                      I also have neighbors close at hand. My choice was:

Am I crazy or does that look exactly like the Pow'R Ball from Glaeser?

Its what I use in my .45. Ive put a lot of them down range and it was very reliable in feeding and so forth.
                      Last edited by Oddball-Six; 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM.
                      -------------------------------
                      You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

• WillBrink
                        LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Oddball-Six
                        Am I crazy or does that look exactly like the Pow'R Ball from Glaeser?
                        You mean Pow'R Ball from CorBon. They look similar, but they are totally different designs. The Glaser is an older design, frangible, and close to worthless as an SD rnd. The Pow'R Ball is an interesting design, but known to have inconsistent performance on testing. There's a reason large departments tend to stick to a handful of brands....
                        - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

• KimberChic
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 2007

Should a round from a 9 mm go through one wall and then travel 200 yrds it's not likely to do much damage (said while cringing) obviously you still don't want that chance. I've heard good things about Hyrda-Shok, they expand faster and at a lower velocity than a typical hp round therefore, after going through a wall the round will be traveling at a slower fps and at a larger size (thereby also reducing fps)than before it went through the wall.

Either way, I'd caution against buying any ammo that states something like "ghost killer" or the like since it's possible that even the name of the ammo may come up should you need to use your firearm for selfdefense. Also becareful with reloads unless you've done them yourself or you completely trust the ablities of the person that did them. There's nothing worse than having your favorite firearm meeting an untimely death because of somebody's "oops".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25435 users online. 65 members and 25370 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...