X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Slaughter
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2001

Megaphones for the range

Or is it 2 words, ala "mega phone"? I don't know...

Regardless, I'm sick of being hoarse after barking all day. Started looking online and the megaphones appear cheap or "chincy".

I don't have more than 8 or 10 shooters online at any given time, so nothing TOO loud, but I do have to content with wind outdoors, so nothing too weak, either.

Suggestions?

DOH! Would also like something with a built-in buzzer if possible. That'd be much preferable to a "whistle" signal or siren for giving 'fire' commands.

That is all.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken
  • tacman605
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2006

Gall's I believe has one with a buzzer and siren button but the most important feature is the hand held mike. You wouldnt think a bullhorn would get heavy but lugging it around after awhile gets uncomfortable. The model with the hand held mike allows you to sling the heavy part and just talk into the mike.

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2001

Thanks.

I just checked and theirs is like all the others I've seen - not a buzzer, but a whistle (like a ref's whistle) and sirens. I may just have to buy a cheap bullhorn and get a PACT timer to use as my buzzer THROUGH the bullhorn.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• formerNOPD
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2005

We have several. Using a buzzer may get your officers attention, but we like to call a threat - Gun, Knife, Bat, Pipe etc. Sometimes we throw in "Coke", "Phone" etc to get them to think, not just go through the motions. It helps make the officers listen to the commands and think, not just react to a sound.
        Differant train of thought, but it has been very sucessful for us.

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2001

That works for judgemental shooting, but a basic course or when running people through a qual course I don't do that.
          NRA Life Member

Comment

• Kieth M.
            When do I grow up?
            • Oct 2005

When I went from the big city CA PD to the small town CO PD, I immediately missed the crisp, loud commands over the P/A system and the horns which told us when to fire.

By the end of every firearms qual, the range officer would be hoarse....but commands were often missed. That could be range safety issue.

One day, I spotted a megaphone w/a detachable mike on a cord and took it to the qual course. Everybody heard everything said, and no one lost their voice giving commands.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

• jannino
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2007

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2001

Uhhhh.....no.
                NRA Life Member

Comment

• Surf
                  24/7/365
                  • Sep 2007

For normal weekly training I do not normally use a bullhorn, but when I am running a one or two week course I definitely use one as it is a must have IMO. I will also use one for giving quals and I will just put the timer up to the mic. I will also throw in a wide range of fire stimulus which will include the horn sound. I also use quite a few non-threat or challenge commands thrown in the mix. Also to ensure that everyone is actually doing a 360 scan, from time to time I will also have instructors giving visual stimulus at varying places off the line and on occasion I will quiz the shooters. Keeps everyone honest and not just going through the motions.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• formerNOPD
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter
                    That works for judgemental shooting, but a basic course or when running people through a qual course I don't do that.
                    We use it on the basic qualification course as well to keep from inducing training scars and keep them from just going through the motions. IMHO using a whistle or buzzer is not as useful a training tool as making them think - with our without a megaphone.

Comment

• formerNOPD
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Surf
                      For normal weekly training I do not normally use a bullhorn, but when I am running a one or two week course I definitely use one as it is a must have IMO. I will also use one for giving quals and I will just put the timer up to the mic. I will also throw in a wide range of fire stimulus which will include the horn sound. I also use quite a few non-threat or challenge commands thrown in the mix. Also to ensure that everyone is actually doing a 360 scan, from time to time I will also have instructors giving visual stimulus at varying places off the line and on occasion I will quiz the shooters. Keeps everyone honest and not just going through the motions.
                      Sounds like a great firearms program. We are much on the same line of thought.

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2001

Originally posted by formerNOPD
                        We use it on the basic qualification course as well to keep from inducing training scars and keep them from just going through the motions. IMHO using a whistle or buzzer is not as useful a training tool as making them think - with our without a megaphone.
                        Qualification is not training. Case law differentiates between the two. For QUALIFICATION in AZ, a bullhorn works fine as it is a scored shoot. Quicker I get that done, the quicker we can get to the tactical/ninja stuff & shoot/no shoot. You know as well as I do that some peopple crap their pants over qualifications because it's scored and I'm only allotted 'x' number of hours to get people through. I keep waiting to see the boss tapping his watch sometimes.

Now that we've gone way off topic, are there any specific recommendations as to something with a buzzer? I think I'm still gonna have to get a PACT timer and use that in conjunction with a megaphone.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

• formerNOPD
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2005

Qualification is not training. Case law differentiates between the two. For QUALIFICATION in AZ, a bullhorn works fine as it is a scored shoot. Quicker I get that done, the quicker we can get to the tactical/ninja stuff & shoot/no shoot. You know as well as I do that some peopple crap their pants over qualifications because it's scored and I'm only allotted 'x' number of hours to get people through. I keep waiting to see the boss tapping his watch sometimes.

Now that we've gone way off topic, are there any specific recommendations as to something with a buzzer? I think I'm still gonna have to get a PACT timer and use that in conjunction with a megaphone.
                          Anytime the weapon is out of the holster and being shot in a range environment it's training. Whether or not the intention is differant is not relevent. A training scar is just that. Plenty of case studies to prove that - i.e. the officers in the early 80's with loose casings in their hands and empty revolvers etc... Why not just use a whistle if you're set on doing that - much lighter and easier on your voice.
                          I agree with what you are saying about "qualifications" - they are for administrative purposes - to cover the agencie's rear so to speak. Still there is time there to train - even when you are conducting qualifications.
                          For instance, our qualification course starts everyone off with downloaded magazines. 5 6rd mags. They load and holster. When they get the threat, they draw with strong hand only and fire 6 rounds center mass from 3yd line, combat reload, switch to support hand fire 6rds, combat reload scan and holster. Our duty load is 12+1 with 2 additional 12rd mags. We had them shoot the practice course with a full duty load. You would not believe how many dropped mags after the first 6 rounds.
                          In a stressful situation they may well do the same thing. You fight the way you train, or don't train. Just my humble opinion, and in no way am I saying you're doing anything wrong, just was sharing my point of view.
                          Regards,
                          Fmr.

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2001

I try to focus on the fundamentals during qualification since there is plenty of time. You know, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" concept. I prefer crisp proper movements when they're on MY time since I know they don't practice correctly on THEIR time.

We still do training at the range, don't get me wrong. I unduce malfunctions and have them clear it prior to qualification. Let 'em shoot a bit and pick up spent casing to load. I also set up a double feed and let them work through it.

FYI - I need to find a plastic emergency/rape whistle then. Brass gets too hot in the desert!
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

• ArcticCop
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2009

FYI - I need to find a plastic emergency/rape whistle then. Brass gets too hot in the desert!

instead of using a rape whistle just use your buzzer on your timer. The result is the same for the shooter and you save your voice (at least on your fire command).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18558 users online. 32 members and 18526 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...